- Not all personnel listed on the protocol have completed mandated training and EHS requirements.
- The protocol is not clearly written so that it is understandable to reviewers.
- The number of animals requested is not adequately justified, or animal numbers are inconsistent in different sections of the protocol.
- Pain and distress categories are not appropriate.
- For large animal protocols, the “Search for Alternatives” is not conducted appropriately (two databases must be consulted and narratives must be clearly based on the literature uncovered during the search, NOT ANECDOTAL INFORMATION).
To review a summary of research training courses, please see the Office of Research Protections' Training Table List.