- Not all personnel listed on the protocol have completed mandated training and EHS requirements.
- The protocol is not clearly written so that it is understandable to reviewers.
- The number of animals requested is not adequately justified, or animal numbers are inconsistent in different sections of the protocol.
- Pain and distress categories are not appropriate.
- For large animal protocols, the “Search for Alternatives” is not conducted appropriately. A minimum of one scientific database should be searched; the other source could be a documented consult/attendance at a relevant conference or a second literature search in another unique database.
To review a summary of research training courses, please see the Office of Research Protections' Training Table List.